I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to focus on this year. Putting my goals into writing these past couple years has actually been really effective for me. It’s such a good way to get them out of my head, onto paper and keep going back and checking in with them and seeing how my progress is going. It seems odd until you do it, but the process of actually saying things out loud or writing them down is just more powerful than thinking them.
I think its partly because until you really decide to do something, you don’t really hold yourself to it, it’s more of just an idea swirling around your head that you are thinking about but not deciding to do. At least that has been the case for me! I’ve really enjoyed getting to go back and see what my goals were for the past 2 years, which of them I’ve accomplished, didn’t so much or even changed direction or priorities on.
One of the best things I did for myself last year was finally getting an audible subscription, and OMG you guys, it’s been life-changing, like for real. I am so passionate about this subject that I plan on doing an entire post about audible and my fave books so far, so I won’t go too into depth here, but a lot of what I am taking into 2018 are some pretty life-changing ideas and epiphanies that I got from several authors of my fave books on there.
One of those amazing people is Brene Brown. I will fan-girl more over her in my other post, but she is where I got my word/focus for this year.
That word is: Wholehearted.
Her definition of that is: “living and loving with your whole heart.” I just love that so much and I want to be counted among those people who are doing just that! Basically, this huge, overall concept is further broken down into what she calls “guideposts” for a wholehearted living, and they are all things that really resonate with me and give such good practical advice for how to achieve the overall goal of being “wholehearted”. It would take a while to go into each one, but they include cultivating things like authenticity, creativity, self-compassion, song and dance. I intend to keep going back to her talk The Power of Vulnerability: Teaching on Authenticity, Connection & Courage to keep everything fresh in my mind and stay focused on working on them all.
Other concepts I want to stay focused on this year are from my other fave author, Jen Sincero. Again, there is so much to say here that I will have to do another post. But to sum it all up, her books You are a Badass & You are a Badass at Making Money are amazing. Probably my fave things I’ve ever read, they are just that inspiring. Two of her ideas I am taking to heart are:
“I just want to see if I can” & “Why not?”
If you’ve read the book, you will know more about what these entail. I will totally go into detail on these later.
Besides for these really big picture concepts to help develop me into a better person, I want to try and tackle the following random things!
- Continue growing my blog, posting consistently, taking it to the next level, and making it my career. But in an organic way and without sacrificing my passion or integrity
- Drink more water. I am SO bad at this!! I have gone short stretches of time where I do pretty good with it but I really fell off the bandwagon recently and want to make it a habit that will actually stick! I know it will vastly improve my overall health, skin and energy levels.
- Try and find some sort of exercise that I actually enjoy and think I will stick with. I am going to admit to you that I have never, ever enjoyed exercising except for dance or gymnastics growing up. This is probably the hardest thing for me ever, and I don’t want to set a goal that is unrealistic for myself like say run 5 miles every day since I DESPISE running. The only way this will become part of my lifestyle is if I can find something I LOVE and look forward to. I need to experiment a bit to figure out what that may be. Ideas include yoga, pilates, zumba & dance classes. The other part of this issue is that I am NOT a social exerciser, at all. So it might need to be YouTube videos or something at home. I will keep you posted on this!
- Wake up early often. Not something I am a huge fan of, but I am learning that the older I get, my energy to get things done is highest in the first part of the day, not the night anymore! My younger self would be shocked I tell you! But there never seem to be enough hours in the day to get everything that I want to accomplished, so I am trying to start earlier and create more time for them when I am less tired. This means I we need to go to bed earlier and we are not good at that! But I am on my 3rd day of trying to get up earlier, so I am proud of myself and consider that a baby step in the right direction! 🙂
- Learn new makeup skills: contouring & highlighting and learn how to fill in my brows. Even though I’ve loved makeup since I was a teen, and have watched 10 million makeup YouTube tutorials, there are some new fancy things I have never, ever tried! Those are doing my eyebrows, contouring & highlighting. Oh! And I still want to completely master the perfect winged eyeliner. I’m better than I used to be, but I still want to improve!
So far that is my list, and I may add to it if I think of more! My biggest focus is becoming the best version of myself, always continue learning and focusing on my blog. The other things I will fit in where I can! What about you?? Do you focus on 1 word/concept for the year or make a list of resolutions or goals? And if you do 1 main theme, I would love to hear what it is! 🙂