You know those days where everything seems to be going wrong, the dumbest things make you want to cry and you are overall just discouraged about life? Maybe its bad news from a friend or family member, or you are disappointed about something that didn’t work out the way you wanted it to, or, I don’t know…a million other reasons. Those days where the book title: “Alexander and The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” just seems like the most accurate description ever?? Well…I have those days sometimes. And I don’t know if it’s the same for everyone, but for me I have found a lot of things that seem to consistently cheer me up when I’m down. Maybe they will work for you too? I hope so! Anyways, here are some things that usually work to turn my bad days around! These are the 7 things that cheer me up when I’m having a bad day.
- Cuddle with my cats! This is the most effective thing for me ever, it’s the best!! There is just something about a sweet, innocent little pet who thinks you are the best thing in the world, even if you feel like the biggest failure that ever lived. In their eyes you are their hero and they love you unconditionally. I truly think animals are the most comforting balm for the soul!
- Watch fave old movies! Do you have certain old movies you’ve watched a million times, and yet no matter how many times you watch it, it just makes you feel happy? For me, those are romantic comedies and old musicals. No matter how cheesy they might seem, I always find myself smiling subconsciously while watching them! They just do something magical and make you feel, like somehow just maybe everything will work out ok. And they tend to remind you of the things that are most important in life, like family, friends, love and laughter. Some of my favorite ones are While you Were Sleeping, Anne of Green Gables, Love Actually, Calamity Jane, The Harvey Girls, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and The Sound of Music.
- Listen to happy music! Similar to how feel-good movies can cheer me up, music has the same effect. Especially things that take me back to the simplicity and innocence of childhood, like Disney soundtracks. Or just some fun, upbeat hip hop or pop. Something with a beat that makes you want to dance. One of my stand by faves is Daft Punk Random Access Memories. I listen to that one ALL.THE.TIME.
- Eat guilty indulgences! They call it comfort food for a reason right? Ok, so this one might be controversial since people tend to frown on the concept of emotional eating, so take this with a grain of salt! However, for me, it honestly just makes me feel better! Sure, maybe it’s a band-aid or whatever, and I don’t recommend making it a lifestyle, but sometimes a carton of ice cream, or chips, or chocolate chip cookies and a cheesy movie have the power to heal an emotional “owie”! For me it works like a charm every time! 🙂
- Talk about it with Chris. If I am feeling especially weepy and emotional, or just freaking out about something, it’s always helpful to hash it out with my hubs. He is THE BEST at cheering me up, and talking through why some things I am worried about are irrational. Sometimes you just need to talk to someone else who knows you really well, and can lighten the mood or just tell you it’s not as big of a deal as it seems!
- Do something fun and crazy, even if it’s not the most objectively logical thing in the world. If things are looking dark and dreary, sometimes it helps to just get out of the house! Go out to dinner, have desert and a few drinks. Even if you have food in the house and should really cook at home, sometimes you gotta be a little bit crazy! Adulting is hard man! It’s ok to take a break from it every once in a while and re-visit that carefree feeling you had before there were so many responsibilities in the world. Forget your schedule, diet, chores, etc. for one night, all that stuff can wait till tomorrow!
- Count my blessings! Kind of cliche, since everyone says it, but it does help. If I am feeling particularly frustrated about something that isn’t working right, it’s good for me to remember what IS going right. Obviously the list of good is always longer than the list of bad!
And that’s my list of the 7 things that cheer me up when I’m having a bad day! Do you have any tips of things that never fail to cheer you up?? I’d love to hear, chime in below!! 🙂